Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Skunks and Tornadoes (again)

Yesterday was yet another eventful day in Findlay, Ohio. I started my day getting ready for work. Andy had taken Diesel out for his morning constitution and piddle and mentioned nothing out of the ordinary. He left for work, and it was my turn to take Diesel out. Two steps onto the deck we heard growling from under our feet. I took Diesel back into the house and went outside (through the front door) to investigate. I went into our neighbors yard (a safe distance from our deck) and looked under. Next to our house under the deck I saw an animal with a triangle face and a white stripe down its back, a skunk. All I have to say is thank God it didn't spray us when we were walking above him on the deck! I am also very thankful that it left the deck and we didn't have to call animal control. I think there is a skunk epidemic in Findlay, it is the only road kill I ever see on Co Rd 99.

The excitement continued after work. For the third time in 2 weeks we had a tornado scare. Because of the recent touch downs around us, Hancock County is enforcing a 3-2 siren. What this means is the siren goes for 3 minutes and is off for 2 minutes. The all clear sign is silence for 5 minutes. So as long as the national weather service has us under a tornado watch our sirens will be going off. Last night they went off for 1 hour!

My neighbor and I had been outside looking at the clouds as the storm approached. (I have to add that her daughter just graduated high school and will be attending Michigan, GO BLUE!) When the sirens went off she called our house because she thought Andy was still at work. She said that she didn't want me to be alone and offered for me to come over, but Andy had gotten home minutes before the first siren went off. Next time I might take her up on the offer, she has a finished basement with few spiders. If this continues we are going to have to reevaluate finishing our basement soon! If these tornadoes keep up it is going to be a long summer.

No comments: