Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lightning and Thunder and Tornadoes - Oh My!

Last night was a HUGE storm here in Findlay. Andy and I had rented some movies and we were watching Cloverfield (a decent Sci-Fi movie, I would suggest it as a movie to watch if you could stand watching Blair Witch - a lot of jerky camera movements) and the lightning was lighting the whole sky and kept scaring me, thanks to the movie. Then after the movie, and right after we climbed into bed, one struck so close that the vibration of the thunder shook the foundation of the house! I was alarmed, but still went to sleep.

Than, at about 1:30AM I was awoken by a siren. I sat straight up in bed and listened for it to go down. It stayed at one tone.....TORNADO!!! Andy was still sleeping, I hit him and he acted like it was no big deal! I ran out to check on Diesel (who was sound asleep) and looked out the front door. I am used to the house on Lallendorf where you could see if something was coming, but here these trees block all view. I looked at the houses around us and no other lights were on so I went back to the bedroom. (I really did not want to go to the basement - Too many spiders!) Andy had turned on the TV and it said the danger appeared to be further east than us. Needless to say that I could not fall asleep for about an hour.

Today, Andy talked to our neighbor who has a weather radio and said that when the first siren went off (yes there were 2 sirens, Andy said he heard the first but went back to bed) it was very possible that a funnel cloud was forming near us and one did touch down in just east of here and destroyed a few homes.

The moral of this story is, when you hear that dreadful solid tone siren, get into the basement! Don't worry about the spiders and get the dog!

2 comments:

Monique said...

I see you take after your Aunt, and Andy is more like Keven - must be a Y chromosome thing. Glad you are fine though. Kelsey got a 7 week old lab puppy last night named him Moses. Like Deisel & you guys, Moses is quickly training us!! Love you. Aunt Monique

Michelle said...

I am with you on not wanting to go to the basement because of the spiders...hate them!!!